How do you deal with HR as a small or medium business?
Most small business owners go into business because they feel passionately about the service or product that they provide and they may not have the business savvy to ensure their business is sustainable. One of the options in this circumstance is to find and surround yourself with others that have those expertises, that you trust and that can come in when you need them; a circle of influence. By outsourcing these business activities it allows you to leverage your own strengths and focus on what you enjoy doing. Outsourcing your HR functions is a great option, especially as an initial solution for smaller businesses of fewer than 50 employees. It can also be a good solution for businesses between 50-100 if the workforce is stable but over that it is usually recommended that you have a dedicated HR person to be onsite. Even in this type of situation having an HR professional to help with ad-hoc HR projects or initiative is also a great option.
“An HR Consultant is particularly beneficial if you do not have an HR department. It could be very costly to an organization if it is not in compliance with all labor laws or is not responding to employee complaints that may lead to litigation. Hiring an HR Consultant is also a business savvy idea when used to complement your existing HR Representative’s skills and capabilities.
The following bullets are just some of the reasons that a company would contact an HR Consultant:
• Investigating harassment complaints
• Recruiting highly qualified employees
• Implementing a performance management system
• Reviewing and/or creating company programs to meet OSHA requirements
• Providing the mandatory training
• Ensuring the company is in compliance with all labour laws
• Creating internal company policies and generating an employee handbook
• Training Management on how to communicate, reward, and discipline their subordinates
• Creating job descriptions for all company positions”
So how do you choose an HR Consultant?
• a track record of success
• good people skills
• skills in the area you need help in like training and development, recruitment etc
• Integrity and respect
• Knowledge of the latest HR trends and legislation
• Someone that fits with your culture and values
• Someone that can provide practical customized solutions to your business.